The history of St. Thomas congregation began during the trying times of World War II. Because of the spiritual needs of those living in the Rocky River area, the Mission Board of the Central District, Missouri Synod, sent Reverend Otto Toelke, its missionary-at-large, to canvass that region. In October 1944 Pastor Toelke began ringing doorbells and by the end of November, the first worship service took place. Over 200 people crowded the newly named "Rocky River Mission" at 2220 Wooster Road. Soon afterward, meetings were held to discuss the organizing of a congregation, and by February 4, 1945, 55 charter members signed corporation papers. St. Thomas congregation was born and well on its way to proclaiming the whole counsel of God to all who entered into its fellowship.
The first order of business concerned the acquisition of a permanent site for a church. A three and one half acre tract of tax-delinquent land, at 21165 Detroit, was purchased at a county auction. An old, existing schoolhouse was extensively remodeled to fit the congregation's needs and in September of 1945 a newly transformed colonial type chapel was dedicated. By 1948 it was necessary to enlarge the chapel to accommodate 200 people and to provide additional Sunday School space and other facilities. By the end of the decade the congregation reached a total of 300 members and was now under the seven-year pastoral leadership of Reverend Luebke.
For St. Thomas the 50's were blessed with steady growth and in February 1959, Pastor Streufert gave us spiritual encouragement and guidance for the third building project in our short history. Actually, the uncertainty of the location of Interstate Highway 90 had delayed the construction plans for five years. Finally, the structure, which holds our present sanctuary, was designed, constructed, and ultimately dedicated on the eve of St. Thomas the Apostle's Day in December 1959. In the fall of 1960, the rededication of the former chapel as a school took place. At that time there were 35 pupils in grades K-8 with a principal and two teachers. From then on, we were known as St. Thomas Lutheran Church and School.
During the next decade the congregation again outgrew its facilities. Groundbreaking for an educational wing, complete with gymnasium, took place in May 1971 and the new elementary school and parish house were dedicated in April 1972. Pastors Streufert, Giessler, and Mueller served in succession up until 1994 when Pastor Eric Van Scyoc, the current pastor, was installed. Through the proclamation of Word, Worship, Witness, Stewardship, and Service, Pastor Van Scyoc has led God's people toward a deeper commitment of Christian discipleship. The rapid increase of grade school students brought a new challenge and so in 1997 yet another building program was under way–Building Through Believing. This was for the purpose of expanding some of the meeting rooms, the narthex, but mainly the school. Two more classrooms were added, an art/science room, a music room, a youth room, and a cafeteria. Included also was the addition of an elevator for those with limited mobility. In 1998 phase I of the program was completed.